The government announced £1 billion of funding to support children and young people to catch up lost time after school closures. This is especially important for the most vulnerable and disadvantaged backgrounds. This funding includes:
- a one-off universal £650 million catch up premium for the 2020 to 2021 academic year to ensure that schools have the support they need to help all pupils make up for lost teaching time
- an oral language intervention programme for reception-aged children
- School allocations will be calculated on a per pupil basis. Mainstream schools will get £80 for each pupil from reception to year 11 inclusive.
- Schools should use this funding for specific activities to support pupils to catch up for lost teaching over the previous months, in line with the curriculum expectations for the next academic year.
- While schools can use their funding in a way that suits their cohort and circumstances, they are expected to use this funding for specific activities which will help pupils catch up on missed education.